Duravit was founded by Georg Friedrich Horn in 1817 as a small earthenware factory. Duravit began to produce sanitary fixtures such as sinks, bidets and toilets in the early 20th century. There was further growth of product lines in 1977 including the introduction of bathroom furniture. The product line was expanded to offer bathroom accessories in 1982. Duravit opened a new, modern plant in 1994 for the production of sanitary ceramics. Duravit is currently available in over 100 countries.